Head of CG
About the position
As an experienced leader with strong technical and managerial skills, the CG Director is responsible for setting a clear vision for all departments of the studio. Working under the supervision of the President, he/she is a member of the Executive Committee. He works in concert with the Director of Technology and the Director of Pipeline, collaborating on the implementation of an efficient production pipeline that allows artists to focus on creating the highest quality images. He works closely with the Executive Producer to align project expectations so that his teams meet their needs.
His role is to ensure cohesion within his team of CG Supervisors and Department Heads in order to develop their skills and merge their different contributions into one coherent and unifying voice. He also has the mandate to ensure a technical watch aimed at not only maintaining and continually improving the productivity of the artists, but also to propose innovations that will allow the studio to stand out from the competition.
- In partnership with the CG Supervisors and Department Heads, determines the priorities and internal requirements for the development of the tools necessary for production, in order to provide a clear and coherent vision of the needs to the Pipeline Director and the Technology Director.
- In conjunction with the Pipeline Director, participates in the selection, deployment and testing of production tools, software and techniques designed to meet the studio's objectives and enable artists to work smoothly and efficiently.
- Anticipates technical challenges and needs for upcoming projects and identifies solutions in collaboration with the CG Supervisors, Director of Technology and Pipeline Director, maintaining a continuous focus on optimization and efficiency.
- Structure and standardize work methodologies for production teams.
- Communicates to the Executive Producer the progress of pipeline development and workflow improvements for each department.
- Is responsible for the career development, coaching, supervision and performance evaluation of all members of his/her direct team (Senior CG and Studio Department Heads).
- At the request of the Executive Producer, participates in the estimation process of new projects and develops technical approach strategies for all features required by the project.
- Ensures that the Supervising CGs work effectively with the Producers to accurately estimate workload and resource requirements when creating production budgets and planning.
- Ensures effective communication between the Supervising CGs and Department Heads to facilitate the sharing of critical information within each project.
- Ensures that the Supervising CG assigned to each project establishes the optimal technical path to achieve the vision of the client and the VFX Supervisor.
- Oversees the end of project technical post-mortem reports and ensures that all appropriate documentation is made available to all.
- Provides inclusive leadership that fosters collaborative work between all trades and technical departments.
- Ensures the proper and standardized integration of new employees into the various teams and departments.
- Determined, proactive, think big, strive for excellence.
- Flexible, positive, solution-oriented.
- Team player, listens, builds mutual trust and strives for collective success.
- Demonstrates strong, unifying leadership, able to inspire, motivate and effectively direct team members towards the achievement of set objectives
- Can coach and guide.
- Communicates with ease and knows how to reassure in stressful situations.
- Organized, rigorous and results oriented.
- Capable of rational analysis taking into consideration both macro-micro and short term-long term factors.
- Able to juggle multiple priorities at the same time
- Able to operate under pressure and tight deadlines
- Comfortable in a changing environment.
- Minimum of 15 years experience in 3D animation film and/or TV series, including 10 years in a team supervision role.
- Excellent technical knowledge of 3D animation workflows and production software.
- Strong interest in innovative technologies, including real-time pipelines, an asset.
- Very good knowledge of Shotgun.
- Strong understanding of production issues.
- Bilingual (French/English)